Dental Care Begins with Brushing & Flossing
At Richmond Fine Dentistry we recommend that you brush your teeth for at least two minutes, twice a day. An effective oral hygiene dental care routine keeps your teeth clean, breath fresh and contributes to the prevention of gum disease. Effective brushing technique is vital.
How to Floss Effectively
- Using approximately 50cm of floss, wind it loosely around your middle fingers and hold the floss with thumbs and index fingers so you have about 1 cm of floss. Carefully insert the floss between two teeth using a back and forward sawing action.
- Curve the floss around the side of your tooth to make a curved ‘C’ shape. Slide the floss up and down the side of each tooth.
- Gently push the floss under the gums as far as it can go whilst the floss is curved around the root of the tooth. Do not force the floss below the gums.
- Floss until you get a nice squeaky clean feeling.
- For interdental dental care Richmond Fine Dentistry has a full range of interdental brushes. We would be happy to advise you on correct size of brush for you and brush technique.
How to Clean Your Toothbrush
- Never share toothbrushes with other members of the family.
- Wash brush after each use with soap and cold water then rinse.
- Soak brush head in 2cm Savacol between uses. Change this solution every 2 or 3 days.
- Rinse brush before the next use.
Dental care research reveals that periodontal disease, stroke and coronary artery disease are linked. At this stage we can accept that a healthy mouth is a prerequiste for a healthy body.